“Who loves not a false imagining, an unreal character in us; but looking through all the rubbish of our imperfections, loves in us the divine ideal of our natures – not the man that we are, but the angel that we may be.”
— Alfred Tennyson
How do you look at life? Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
When you get up in the morning is the cup of your soul full or empty? Do you have capacity to receive more?
These questions are much more than “positive thinking,” but rather taking our relationship with God so seriously that it affects every aspect of our lives.
While I was in Chicago last month I did a study on New Prospect Baptist Church. These people have a soup kitchen which was essentially run by the church. The program went well but then they decided that their “cup” could be even fuller if they talked to the people who actually came there to eat. They decided to ask the people who attend a few basic questions. Here are a few:
1. What positive qualities do people say you have?
2. Who are the people in your life that you give to? How do you give to them?
3. When was the last time you shared with someone else? What was it?
4. What do you give that makes you feel good?
1. What do you enjoy doing?
2. If you could start a business, what would it be?
3. What do you like to do that people would pay you to do?
4. Have you ever made anything Have you ever tried anything?
1. What are your dreams?
2. If you could snap your fingers and be doing anything, what would it be?
Now, the number one response from everyone surveyed was that they could cook! So, the church invited them to share their gifts in the soup kitchen. The transformation was off the charts! The soup kitchen buzzed with activity and not one church member had to lift a finger because everyone who was there was giving from the fullness of their lives. The food never tasted better and the ministry took on new life and new meaning!
This is what I mean by a life that is lived with a full cup! When we give out of our joy, talents and God given abilities we transform the world.
Don’t believe me?
Ask yourself the same questions and then follow your bliss! But watch out! Your life will be transformed!
Yours for the reign of God,